Historians such as Edward Gibbon (1737-94), Arnold Toynbee (1889-1975) and Will Durant (1885-1981) have analyzed the reasons for the fall of mighty civilizations.
In summarizing cause and effect, an American educator lists six common reasons why each civilization fell:
1. They lost their religious convictions and defied basic morality.
2. They became obsessed with sex.
3. They debased their money of its intrinsic value and let inflation run rampant.
4. Honest work ceased to be a virtue.
5. Respect for law disintegrated and violence became an accepted method of achieving individual and group desires.
6. Finally, citizens were no longer willing to be soldiers and fight for the defense of their nation and their heritage.”
(Dr. Kenneth McFarland speech, ‘Bicentennial America’s Opportunity,” National Convention of the Independent Petroleum Association of America.”)
Will our modern nations be wise enough to escape similar destruction? Are we prepared to reverse the course of history?
J. Richard Clark, former leader in the Mormon Church said, “Through the exercise of our political rights and responsibilities, through community service, and through personal righteousness, we must free our nations from tyranny and from fiscal and moral bankruptcy to the extent of our ability.
As we watch all that is happening in the world, we have to ask ourselves, ‘Is there really anything that I can do to help slow, stop, or even reverse all the destructive thinking and behavior?’
And the answer is “Yes!”
1. Honestly examine your life and make a course correction if attitudes and habits are in any way promoting the six causes of a civilization’s demise.
2. Be a pro-active parent who teaches, guides, and encourages your children’s attitudes and habits to advance a strong, moral, God-fearing and patriotic nation.
3. Take a stand vocally. Your words may give cause and courage to others who are apathetic or disengaged.
4. Write letters to the editor, blog, facebook, tweet expressing your opinions. Remember to do the research and present facts. No one can dispute the facts.
5. If possible give financially to causes that are for the good of your nation, her families, and her people.
6. Pray for your country, her leaders, and her people.
7. Pray that you will know what else you can do, and that you will be prepared to do it.
Love of country and the strength of nations is a cause worthy of any and all efforts.
These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us; ‘tis dearness only that gives everything its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial and article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.” Thomas Paine